Friday, September 3, 2010

Promises, promises

I open my Facebook account and find links to contenders' manifestos dominant among the updates. The printed versions of one or two such manifestos are lying around somewhere on the floor in my room. As I check out some other updates, someone knocks on my door. I open it to find half a dozen people who slip another paper into my hand. The contender steps forward and starts off. "Hello, I am so-and-so standing for the post of so-and-so. My manifesto isn't too long(Yeah, I can see that). I will do this, do that, arrange for an alternative and more efficient system for something, make these provisions available..........last year I held this post, I did this, I did that, I was actively involved in this...............so please vote for me and tell your friends as well." Shakes hands.

The campus is under the grip of election fever. Elections. That occasion when the only thing in a contender's mind is that the way to securing a person's vote is through his/her heart (in one particular sense). Yeah, you come up with a huge list of what you intend to do and people in the campus are feeling the necessity of a number of things among those mentioned. If that catches people's eyes and you do end up winning, then you have to make it a point to ensure that it turns out to be more than just another 'plus point' for another election campaign. If it is possible to devote time and effort (and money) in performing research on the people in campus, identifying vote banks and coming up with all sorts of ways for attracting them, then it is definitely worth a try to put in some of that effort into doing something productive.

Election Day coming soon. Time will tell how our 'netas' fare.

P.S. The hostels are littered with manifestos, half of which mention an intention to make the campus litter-free.

1 comment:

  1. You are tagged on my blog. Check:

    http://akminerva.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/my-second-tag-7-things-about-myself-that-nobody-knows/

    ReplyDelete