Monday, May 10, 2010

Two Minutes

I got back on my feet after falling on being elbowed in the face. Pleased with the advantage that the situation had provided, I hardly worried about the nosebleed. The position was perfect...it was within what I describe as 'my freekick territory'. I took my position and looked at the goal, the 4-man wall and the keeper. The clock was ticking away...only two more minutes to go. It was now or never...

A strong wind started blowing across the goal. I waited for a moment and worked out how and where to hit the ball to make the most of the strong gust of wind. I started my run-up, swung my boot at it, and it bulged the net while the keeper stared helplessly. We had taken the lead.

The referee blew his whistle, they kicked off again. Half a minute to go. Their winger tore down the left flank at top speed and crossed the ball in. I climbed above their forward and headed it to safety. My teammate took possession. Our fullback took the ball and ran forward, looking for someone to play it to. I called for it and got it. I did a quick 360 past their central midfielder and accelerated into the yards of open space that lay beyond.

As I saw their huge centreback rush at me with a look of desperation in his eyes, I realized that for that instant, I didn’t care about losing possession…what my mind was fixed on was getting out of the way of the pair of solid legs flying at me with unimaginable recklessness. I jumped, but a little too late. Both his legs caught me full and square below my knee, the solid plastic studs digging into the soft flesh at the sides of my calf muscle. Just one moment of madness.

I collapsed...the pain was excruciating. Not even as much as a whisper emerged from my mouth, let alone a loud scream of pain and agony. As I lay there motionless, surrounded by my teammates, I mustered enough courage to have a look at my leg. At once I wished I hadn't. The same foot with which I had dealt a killer blow to the opposition moments ago, was now in shambles...completely destroyed...

The medical staff stretchered me off the field. My vision became hazy. I saw a red object shining in the referee’s hand. Their centreback was sent off, but the damage was done. The fourth official showed the added time. Play continued, but I had no idea of what was happening on the field. The blurred figures of players running around on the field slowly disappeared into darkness...

No comments:

Post a Comment